Robert Morris University
The Project Engineer will be involved in the planning, oversight, and administration of capital projects and construction activities for the university. This position is responsible for utilizing knowledge and experience of various engineering disciplines and trades to ensure safe, timely and cost effective execution of projects that ultimately achieve user requirements and university expectations.
- Working knowledge of all aspects of construction and capital projects from the planning process to project completion, with major responsibilities of position being the coordination and oversight of projects that have moved to the construction phase. Interacts with university constituents to execute projects and ensure project/customer expectations are achieved.
- Works with upper administration on aspects of project constructability, cost control, and regulatory compliance. Assists in preparation and/or reviews project specifications, drawings and similar project documents including; a scope of work, quality standards for construction, contracts, permits, and similar documents. Obtains cost estimates and/or proposal for proposed projects.
- Reviews and/or inspects projects on a daily basis to validate progress and conformance to project design, specification, standards and similar project requirements. Ensures documentation regarding such progress is prepared/maintained, including but not limited to contractor daily reports.
- Closely reviews and monitors project progress relative to established schedules to ensure deliverables, critical path, and deadlines are achieved and provides routine reporting on such matters to supervisor/upper management.
- In conjunction with the Owners Architect/Engineering Representative(s), monitors each phase of work to ensure construction quality and RMU construction standards are achieved.
- Coordinates directly with general contractors, subcontractors and similar vendors. Understands and facilitates multiple aspects of project execution including; schedule coordination, site access, work announcements, site utilities, deliveries, moves/occupancy, and other project activities.
- Works with RMU safety professionals and contractor representatives to ensure contractor compliance with building, personnel, occupant/pedestrian safety, and RMU requirements.
- Coordinates and attends regularly scheduled meetings (with RMU representatives, A&E firms, contractors, and other agents) to discuss major aspects of each project including but not limited to; scope, schedule, quality, and budget.
- Maintains, develops, and executes project management processes and management tools to ensure all project aspects are implemented, monitored, documented and reported including; shop drawing approvals, as-built documents, complete project files, and budget monitoring.
- Works with administrative personnel to ensure all project documentation (plans, specification, drawings, contracts, construction/daily reports, close-out, and similar) are complete and properly filed.
- Prepares project updates, construction reports, and similar construction metrics as appropriate.
- B.S. Degree in engineering (civil, mechanical, or similar field) required.
- Minimum five (5) year’s work experience in building/construction related discipline. Proven record in construction related field with working knowledge of construction management processes, means, and methods.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills with proven ability to develop and maintain constructive working relationships with internal department representatives and outside vendor groups.
- Ability to interface and maintain relations with federal, state, local agencies (such as Moon Township) as necessary.
- Ability to work independently, lead program initiatives, and think creatively.
- Must be able to work under pressure and prioritize multiple job requirements. Must be able to achieve personal, departmental, and organizational goals using diplomacy.
- Proficient in computer/software applications including Microsoft Office and construction management tools.
- Strong technical background in engineering and/or construction industry including knowledge of building/construction standards and codes.
- Knowledge of building construction materials, systems, and technologies. Develops, designs and creates new applications, ideas, and/or processes for effective construction management.
- Strong attention to accuracy, detail oriented, and demonstration of organizational skills. Capable of taking direction and implementing continuous improvement strategies.
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, lift, climb ladders, remain standing or walk for extended periods of time and similar condition encountered on a construction site.
- Position must be available to support 24/7 operations and perform other related work as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a letter of interest and an attached resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. To ensure proper processing, applicants must use the following subject line format:
First Name Last Name – Position Reference Number
Example: Bob Morris - 123456
This position description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the employee holding this job. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees are expected to conform with the University’s Policy of Ethical Practice and the following: perform quality work within deadlines with/without direct supervision; interact professionally with other employees, students, customers and suppliers; work effectively as a team contributor; and work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating/coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. EOE
Internal Number: 10966-62
About Robert Morris University
Approximately 5,200 undergraduate and graduate students from 42 states and 32 nations are enrolled at Robert Morris University, which is located in Moon Township approximately 20 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh.
Robert Morris University offers 60 undergraduate degree programs and 20 graduate degree programs in five academic schools: the School of Business, the School of Communications and Info...rmation Systems, the School of Education and Social Science, the School of Engineering, Mathematics and Science, and the School of Nursing and Health Sciences.
RMU’s mission is to change our students’ lives so that they can go out and change the lives of others for the better. We do this through professional experiences, service learning, global experiences, undergraduate research, campus leadership, and cultural experiences. These activities are documented on RMU’s unique Student Engagement Transcript.
More than 100 clubs and organizations help students to develop leadership skills, network professionally and meet friends. Student organizations include varsity, club and intramural sports, sororities, fraternities and student government. RMU has 23 NCAA Division I athletic programs, including football, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s hockey, and men's and women's lacrosse.
The university has 571 employees, which includes 200 full-time faculty members.
More Jobs Like This
Spillman Farmer Architect
3 Days Ago
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
1 Week Ago
JH Technical Services, Inc.
1 Week Ago
Back to top